Sunday, June 12, 2016

CUBES Posters

Math Strategy
CUBES
Tribal Themed Posters





CUBES Posters

I use the CUBES strategy in my classroom every single day. In the beginning of the year I model the strategy, and by the end of the year the students are expected to do it on their own. They use it on homework and assessments.

C-Circle key numbers
The most important part of this for students to understand is that they should only be circling numbers that are going to be used to solve the problem. They should not be circling numbers that have no part of the problem or they do not need to solve. If they circle one and find out later they don’t need it, I just have them put and X over it! 

U-Underline the question
This is where you can stop and model aloud by saying “what exactly do they want to know or want me to solve”

B- Box any math action words
These words include sum, difference, in all, multiply, of, divide, share between and many many more math action words. 

E- Evaluate & Eliminate
Evaluate simply means to think through and figure out “ what steps do I take to solve?” 
Eliminate means just that, eliminate any extra information that isn’t necessary to solve or information could be confusing.

S- Solve and Check

This is where students need to solve, and remember to check their answer. 

I use this with my 4th and 5th graders. It is extremely helpful to many students, and really helps them understand word problems. I have taught all ranges of learners and this is something that can be helpful to all students.  I have even printed smaller copies and taped it to the student desks.

Find them in my TPT store!



No comments: